Thursday, November 10, 2011

A sign for our times.



From today's reading: "You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times." and "Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees!" Then they understood that he (was not talking about) bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees." Matthew 16:3b, 11b-12 The powers-that-be are still trying to trip up Jesus and now they have asked for a sign from him. I think back to when John sent word from prison asking if Jesus is the expected one, and Jesus' reply is 'look around, the blind see, the lame walk, the mute speak, what more do you need?' Everywhere Jesus goes. he leaves signs of his presence there. Even today, God leaves signs of his presence everywhere. It is simply opening our eyes to see his work in the world around us.

I am often asked, when faced with a decision, how can you tell what God wants you to do. My answer is always the same - ask God for a sign - but not just any sign - ask for a specific sign - one that you will recognize when it comes. As Sam and I were driving to Huntsville to interview for the assistant rector/campus ministry position, I had another firm offer that was attractive, so I asked for a sign. I said, "God, if I walk in the nave and I cannot see outside, it will be a sign that I do not belong there." When I walked in the nave of St. Stephen's, there were six large clear-glass windows - three on each side of the congregation - and a seventh large clear-glass window behind the cross above the altar. Because I asked for a specific sign, I recognized it when it came. I spent 6 wonderful years in Huntsville as assistant rector and campus minister. It was the perfect place that God had prepared for me, and because I asked for a specific sign, the answer were there waiting for me. God has an answer for you also.


No comments:

Post a Comment