Tuesday, November 29, 2011

We were eyewitnesses. . .


From today's reading: For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we had been eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that voice was conveyed to him by the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased." 2 Peter 1: 16-17

I love this reading. Remember that on the Mount of Transfiguration - Jesus told Peter and James and John not to tell anyone until after his death? Here Peter is, telling of the event. Now that Jesus is dead and resurrected, Peter is getting the word out. This is something he saw himself, not a story he heard. He was an eyewitness.

We, too, are eyewitnesses to the things that Jesus does in our lives and we are to share those events also. The problem is that the words, "God told me..." or "Jesus told me..." are suspect. People may think that you are crazy if you use those words, so we focus on what he does. I was in church one day - lamenting about my lack of knowledge of my heritage, and suddenly God filled my heart to overflowing as he assured me, "I am your father and this is your family. If you want to know your heritage, read the Bible. This is the legacy I give to you." It was at that point that I knew I would follow the path that led to seminary and full ministry in the church. We are the family of God and he will fulfill our most intimate needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment