Friday, November 4, 2011

My ways are not your ways.

A little different approach today. . . I slept in and so the TV was on when I got up. I goofed off for a while before coming in to start my study. I saw a snippet of one talk show in which the hostess couldn't seem to wrap her mind around the guest's stipulation that a particular friend as exactly that - a friend, not a backstabber. But the hostess just wasn't buying it and I got to thinking about all the people you hear (especially on TV or radio) who simply yell over whoever they are talking to, who can't possibly imagine that someone might be motivated differently, who project their own fears and anxiety and pettiness on to the person with whom they are talking.

Then I came in to start my study and the two things that spoke to me were: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor your ways my ways, says the Lord." Isaiah 55:8 (from Canticle 10) And "Just and true are your ways. . . For you alone are holy." Rev. 15:3-4

I wondered how often we might be guilty of projecting our own desires and prejudices on to God. Our ways are not His ways. . . For God alone is holy! I think in essence, we don't really have any idea what that means. My mantra today will be, "My ways are not your ways, O Lord, for you alone are holy."

No comments:

Post a Comment