Tuesday, November 22, 2011

C. S. Lewis remembered


From today's reading: Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs." Matthew 19:14

Today was my mother's birthday. She would have been 98 years old this year. She died in 1993 - 30 years after my father died.

On this date, my sophomore year in college, Mom and I had tickets to see Peter, Paul, and Mary in Houston. The concert was cancelled following the assassination of John F. Kennedy in Dallas. C. S. Lewis also died that day. He is remembered today for his many contributions to the Christian world. He may be best remembered for his children's series, The Narnia Chronicles - my favorite book of that series being The Last Battle. He also wrote a number of book, both fiction and non-fiction. Some of my favorites are Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and The Great Divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment