Tuesday, August 7, 2012

When God says, "Look at me."



From today's reading:  Peter looked intently at him, as did John, and said, "Look at us." And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them. But Peter said, "I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk."  Acts 3:4-6

Peter said, "Look at us."  The Lord will often get our attention just before he acts.  He wants to make sure that we know that it is the Lord and not ourselves working in the world.  I laughed at our two oldest grandkids last week.  After dinner they wanted to go outside and "look at nature."  

This reminded me of my first job out of seminary.  I was faced with two different placement choices.  The first was a known situation where I knew I'd be happy, but the second was totally unknown.  I prayed as we traveled to interview at the second place.  My prayer was for a sign -  that sign was that I would be able to see nature through open windows from the sanctuary...  

As we walked into the nave of St. Stephen's in Huntsville, God said, "Look at me."  I could see him in the crepe myrtle blooms through the side windows, I could see him in the forest pines through the window over the altar.  Every where I looked, I saw God's presence.  That was the beginning, not of a simple year-long beginning curate, but of 6 years of ministry that were a powerful witness to God's presence.

The crippled man, looking up to Peter and John, expected to receive alms  - but instead, he received much more - a healing that was God's gift for paying attention.  Whenever God says, "Look at me," be ready to receive more than you ever imagined.  

No comments:

Post a Comment