Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Let us go to the house of the Lord.


From today's reading:  I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD."  Psalm 122:1

One of my favorite psalm verses.  I remember when I woke up one day and realized that I really liked going to church; liked being with the Lord.  It was something of a surprise for this young lady that once had watched the clock closely during worship wishing that they would choose the shorter prayers so that we could get out sooner.  I probably went to church out of a sense of duty - knowing that I should be there, but somehow wanting it to be over sooner.  I'm not sure when the change took place, but at some point in time, I not only was glad to go to church, but was also glad to remain there. 

This is an example that we don't have to perfect or holy or even sure of our beliefs to come and be with God.  I've heard, as we all have, stories or complaints about the "hypocrites" in churches.  It is a common complaint from people who want an excuse not to go to church.  The church is made up of seekers who are in various stages along their journey of life and journey to seek truth.  As we grow in grace we become true worshippers and can encourage those who are not so far along on their journey, because we, too, have been in their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment