Tuesday, November 20, 2012

When I stumble

From today's reading:  Jesus said to his disciples, 'Occasions for stumbling are bound to come. . .   Luke 17:1  

Occasions for stumbling are found around every corner - some of them we know quite well - those are pretty easy to avoid.  But others are more elusive, they sneak up on us without our even being aware; things like indignation, self-righteousness, pride, attraction, gluttony, temptations of all kinds.  They are most often subtle, attractive, seemingly innocuous.  As a human race, we often make excuses for the questionable behavior.      

Jesus knows that we are not perfect, and his ability to wait for us through our indiscretions is unbounded.  His ability to forgive us for our transgressions is without end.  His willingness to reach down into the dusky places we go and to draw us up again is the example of his great love for us.

Jesus, when temptations are placed in my path, help me to overcome, but on the occasions when I do fall, pick me up, help me to repent, and place me back on the path.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment