Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lord, keep me faithful


From today's reading:  He asked them, 'Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did.  Luke 13:2-3

When Katrina happened, a young man told me that it was God's just punishment for the wickedness of the people of New Orleans.  A friend tells me that it was the arrogance of the people who defied nature by building below sea level that paid the price.  What Jesus is telling us here is that calamity striking does not indicate disfavor from God.  These things just happen and as it says elsewhere in scripture, both rain and sun fall of the just and the wicked alike.  And I don't even believe that Jesus is saying that the people died unrepentant.  What he is saying is that we can't predict when or where we are going to die and that we should at all times be prepared to meet our Lord.

The Roman Catholic Church advocates weekly confession - anytime you are going to take communion.  Some people believe in doing a nightly examination of conscience - just a quick check on the day.  What have I done that was right - what have I done that was wrong?  How can I improve myself tomorrow?  You don't have to go down some long check list - just a quick personal check in - and a prayer for God to help you do better tomorrow.

Lord, keep me faithful, remind me of those things I need to change, help me let go of those things I cannot change, show me where I can make the difference in someone else's day.  Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment