Friday, April 6, 2012

Trial and Crucifixion

The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. Many testified falsely against him. Mark 14:55-56

Lord, if I ever feel someone is in my way, hindering my progress, let me remember what happened on the day of your death. Never allow me to place my good over the good of another. Never allow me to persecute another unjustly in order to advance my own position.

Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times." And he broke down and wept. Mark 14:72

Lord, forgive me for all the times I have denied you: by not speaking out when I should have; by not proclaiming your name when I should have; by not turning to you when I am troubled.

He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified. Mark 15:15

Lamb of God, when I hurt, let me remember the pain you suffered. Unite my pain with your very real physical pain and touch my broken body with your healing hand.

They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him. And they began to call out to him, "Hail, king of the Jews!" Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. Mark 15:17-19

King of kings, cover my fears by your strength and unite my feelings with yours. When I feel foolish, let me remember the undeserved mocking you suffered.

A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross. Mark 15:21

When asked to shoulder a burden for you, Lord, let me approach the task with gladness and joy, remembering always the burden you took on yourself for me.

And they crucified him. The written notice of the charge against him read: THE KING OF THE JEWS. Those who passed by hurled insults at him. Mark 15:25-26, 29

Suffering Servant, let me always remember the insult you endured. Like a lamb led to the slaughter, you submitted your will to the will of God. When faced with a task that I find unpleasant, let me bind myself to your obedience at the cross. When faced with insult, give me your strength to endure and to face it with the love you showed.

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"-- which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Mark 15:34

Lord of Sorrows, in the hour of my pain and suffering, let me remember who saves. Let me call out to my God and my Savior and not curse the circumstances of my life.

Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. In Galilee these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there. Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses saw where he was laid. Mark 15:40-41

Lord of Love, give me the faithfulness of these women, to follow you regardless of where the path leads. Help me to remember that in caring for the needs of the people I meet, I am doing your will and caring for your needs; that I am your hands on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment