Thursday, April 5, 2012

Last Supper and Gethsemane

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me-- one who is eating with me." Mark 14:18

Lord Christ, in all my dealings with my brothers and sisters of the world, never let envy, greed, or disappointment so rule in my heart and head that I betray anyone whom you have place in my presence.

Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take it; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them. "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many." Mark 14:22-24

Precious Bread of Life, fill my heart and mind with the sustenance of your love; with the sure knowledge that bread alone is not enough for my life, but let me partake of the very Word of God.

"You will all fall away," Jesus told them, "for it is written: "'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.' Mark 14:27

Faithful One, unite my abandonment, both real and imagined, with that suffered by you. When I feel the pain well up inside me, be there by my side to comfort me and assure me that you will never abandon me. Allow me always to stay by your side, never abandoning you.

He fell to the ground and prayed, "Abba, Father, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will." Mark 14:35-36

Word of God, your prayer is always a perfect prayer. Teach me to pray for my needs, my hopes, my desires, but always ready to bend to the will of my Father in Heaven, just as you bent your will to His perfect will. You followed in obedience to allow His glory to shine through. Help me to remember your prayer, to follow in obedience just as you did. Help me to approach our Father with the same simplicity and child-like love and trust that you always demonstrated.

"Simon," he said to Peter, "could you not keep watch for one hour? Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Mark 14:37-38

Redeemer of the World, let me not be found sleeping in the day of your return. Help me to keep watch with those in pain, those whose lives are troubled, the dying, the lonely, those in prison, and the friendless.

Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Rabbi!" and kissed him. The men seized Jesus and arrested him. Mark 14:45-46

Teacher, when my friends betray me, unite that betrayal with yours. Unite my disappointment, my heartache with that of my Lord. Let me never be found guilty of betraying the trust and confidence you place in me.

Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Mark 14:47

Savior, when I am hurt, when I am scared, let me not lash out in fear. Give me grace to respond in love, just as you responded in love.

Peter followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. There he sat with the guards and warmed himself at the fire. Mark 14:54

Lord Jesus, plant in me the boldness to follow you, not at a distance afraid of the wolves, but walking along side of you, as a friend and a fellow sojourner in the way of truth and love. Let fear not turn me aside or make me hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment