Friday, December 16, 2011

Sing a Song of Praise


From today's reading: He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
many shall see, and stand in awe, and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:3

Being the music lover I am, I love any verse in the psalms that talk about new songs and singing to the Lord, because that is what I really like to do. So many songs speak to my heart and it really doesn't matter if it is an old favorite, or something new that reaches in and grabs me. All down through the years, poets have said it with style and class and each one reaches a new generation. Some favorites that make my heart soar are:

#9 from the hymnal - "Not here for high and holy things we render thanks to thee, but for the common things of earth, the purple pageantry, the dawning and the dying days, the splendor of the sea...". (I see that every Sunday morning as I drive to La Porte for worship) . . . and on to the last verse that says, "To give and give and give again, what God has given thee, to spend thyself nor count the cost, to serve right gloriously..."

From the renewal period, Diane Andrew wrote, "I want to be a child again, I want to see the world through five year old eyes, to walk with my Lord, wherever he may be, to put my trust in him..."

And from the contemporary era, the 2008 Desert Song bridge from Hillsong, "All of my life, in every season, You are still God, I have a reason to sing, I have a reason to worship."

Anytime we lift up our voices and sing (or listen) with purpose, God blesses us with overpowering love and a closeness to him that creates a bond that can never be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment