Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I stand at the door and knock. . .


From today's reading: Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me. Revelation 3:20

This is part of the reading from Revelation concerning the church at Laodicea. You may remember that the Lord takes this church to task for being luke warm - that's what most people remember when they read Revelation - "I will spew you out of my mouth..." He takes them to task because they have grown rich and prospered and they have forgotten their need of God. I think this is a temptation for all of us when things are going well in our life. When we are in need and things are not going well, there are two choices - worry yourself to death, or cry out to God - keeping alive that praying without ceasing. But when things are going our way, we are much less likely to keep that running conversation with God.

But then you get to this wonderful passage - God tells them that even though they have abandoned him, he is still there: "I stand at the door and knock, if you hear me, open the door and I will come in..." God is still there for us, through thick and through thin, through good and bad; even when we have all but forgotten him, God is still there. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, our joy is that God is there for us in all circumstances of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mother Nan for this beautiful reminder. In a world that is so fast paced and chalk full of temporary circumstances, the only thing that never changes is God's love and commitment to us through all of our days. It is a good and certainly right thing for us to remember and acknowledge his presence in our daily lives, and give glory to him in all situations. God bless. K.G.

    ReplyDelete