Wednesday, October 17, 2012

From the belly of Sheol you heard my cry.



From today's reading:  "I called to the LORD out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.  Jonah 2:2

This has always been an encouraging verse to me.  Here is Jonah in the belly of the great fish and he knows that this situation is a result of his discision to ignore the Lord and run away.  I don't know of anyone who hasn't made a bad choice on occasion.  Sometimes they are simple little things that don't really make a big difference, but on those occasions when the decision could be life changing, it is so comforting to know that we can call on the Lord and regardless of where we are, He hears our voice.  And He will begin to set in motion those things that will help bring us out of the belly of the fish that has engulfed us.

From Psalm 139:7-8,12a - Where can I go from your spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I ascend to Heaven, you are there.  If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. Even the darkness is not dark to you...

It doesn't matter what kind of mess we get ourselves into - our Lord is there to help us find our way back.  Now and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment