Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spending time with God

From today's reading: "I do not want to see you now just in passing, for I hope to spend some time with you..." 1 Corinthians 16:7 I'm going to do something I usually frown upon - I'm going to take this sentence totally out of context. But this really captured my imagination this morning. Paul is writing to the Christians at Corinth. He is planning to come visit them and he doesn't just want to stay for a day or two - he wants to spend some significant time with them. It really hit me this morning that that's the way God feels about us. He doesn't want to just see us passing through - he wants to spend some significant time with us. And if we want to be faithful, effective witnesses to Christ's presence in our life, we need to listen to him, spend time with him, hang out with him. Different people will do this in different ways; sitting at a kitchen table, or on a porch swing, or jogging through the park, or walking in the woods or driving to work. Find a time and a place where you can give your thoughts over to God and allow him to be in control - even if it is only for five or ten minutes. You will find your life blessed in unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment