Monday, October 24, 2011

Speaking the words of Jesus

From today's reading: Jesus said, "When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." Matthew 10:19-20 The lessons for today are those appointed for the remembrance of St. James of Jerusalem, the brother of Jesus. (Oct. 23, transferred) It is generally accepted that James was not a disciples of Jesus until after his resurrection. (1 Cor. 15:3-8) James later became the leader of the church in Jerusalem and was eventually killed for refusing to denounce Jesus. I find this scripture comforting as I begin my sermon preparation each week. I trust that God has something to say to his people, and I trust that he will speak his word through me. That's a huge thing since I don't always trust myself to know what to say. If it comes out right, I know that God's hand was all over it. What I find is that we must spend time reading God's word in order to be able to use His word when the right time comes. That is a gift given to all of us - to speak God's word when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment