Saturday, January 9, 2016

Telling God, "Yes, and..."

The following piece is by Gina Bridgeman.  I find the concept to be very helpful when facing some of the things God asks me to do!

A friend of mine told me about an exercise she learned in an improvisation class. It’s called “Yes . . . and,” and it works something like this: A student calls out an idea for an improv, such as “We’re kittens.” Instead of dismissing the idea as dumb, another student must respond with an additional idea, saying, “Yes . . . and we’re prehistoric!” Each student adds an idea to expand the skit and nobody knows where the whole thing is going. 
I wondered if the same idea might work for me when facing God’s challenges, especially the ones that I might be more inclined to avoid than enthusiastically embrace. So when our pastor announced that our church was planning a health fair for a low-income, inner-city neighborhood, my immediate reaction was I’m not a doctor or nurse. What can I do? But instead I said, “Yes . . . and I’ll work wherever you need help.” I was assigned to the registration table, and not only did I put my organizational skills to good use, I even used a little of my high school Spanish. I also had fun and finished the day knowing that I’d helped people get information and services that they really needed.  Now when God sends a challenge my way, I fight the urge to say “No” and instead say “Yes . . . and.” I think of it as God’s improvisation. His ideas may surprise me, but I can relax and follow His lead because He always knows where things are going. 



No comments:

Post a Comment