Friday, January 1, 2016

Holy Name of Jesus

From today's reading:  When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, . . . so that we might receive adoption as children. . . . God has sent the Spirit . . . into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave but a child, and . . . an heir, through God.     Galatians 4:4-7 (NRSV)

One of the things that I tie into so strongly is the idea of adoption.  Joseph took Jesus to be his son without hesitation to raise and protect and train up in the ways of Yahweh.  I envision Joseph to be like my adoptive father.  To give you an idea of my father, picture Dan Blocker from Bonanza. Just like Dan Blocker, my dad was a gentle giant, and that is the way I envision Joseph.

He did everything for Jesus that any father would do, receiving him as his own and never looking back, Joseph proudly took him to the temple saying, "This is my son, Jesus." 

This is what God does with us.  He presents each of us at the temple and says, "This is my child."  Because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we are all made acceptable before God.  All we have to do is accept the gift of Jesus and follow him each day as Lord and Savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment