Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Rooster Crows

From today's reading:  After a little while the bystanders came up and said to Peter, "Certainly you are also one of them, for your accent betrays you." Then he began to curse, and he swore an oath, "I do not know the man!" At that moment the cock crowed.  Matthew 26:73-74

What an awakening.  Jesus had predicted this andPeter denied that it could happen.  So the rooster crowing was a powerful reminder of just what Peteer had done.  There is a song that was written for the Cursillo movement, but is rarely sung and known only by a few.  It was written by Yohann Anderson and it contains some powerful words:

     The rooster crows reminding me, who I am and what I believe.
     Hello rooster you know me inside, faces I wear and love that I hide.

          Peter like me had to find out himself, 
          Grace from our Lord is free. . .

That is the rooster's job - to remind us, to bring us back to reality - so that we may be drawn back inio the circle of love that is God.  When we sin, when we deny our heritage - it is up to us, at the rooster's crow, to turn around, ask forgiveness, and begin the journey back home.

2 comments:

  1. That is a precious song. Thanks for posting the lyrics. My parents and grandparents used to sing it, and it helps me get in touch with my capacity to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah, I'm so glad this touched you with fond memories. God brings us to what we need, when we need it. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete