Saturday, July 7, 2018

Out of weakness comes strength

Today’s Collect says:   Grant us the grace of your Holy Spirit that we may be devoted to you with our whole heart and united to one another with pure affection.


Paul embodies that somewhat in 2nd Corinthians 12:2-10.  He talks about a thorn in his flesh that keeps him from being too ‘elated’ - the Greek word means something like ‘haughty’ or being raised up - maybe it keeps him humble and not boasting.


God refused to remove the thorn and told Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you - for power is made perfect in weakness.”  Paul goes on to say, “therefore I am comment with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities - for the sake of Christ, for when I am weak then I am strong.”


I think of my own weaknesses and wonder how God can use them to further his kingdom.  But I also know that God can use anything that we lift up to him even if we don’t understand.  That’s why Jesus could send out the 12 disciples, because they believed that he could use even them to spread his kingdom.  We have to have the same faith that God can and does use us when we open our hearts and minds to him.  Thank you, Lord, for loving us and keeping us in your grace.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment