Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Patience to wait on the Lord


From today's reading:  After having heard that Lazarus was ill, [Jesus] stayed two days longer in the place where he was. Then after this he said to the disciples, 'Let us go to Judea again.' The disciples said to him, 'Rabbi, the Jews were just now trying to stone you, and are you going there again?'  John 11:6-8

I think the disciples didn't always understand what Jesus was doing.  They didn't understand when he didn't go to Lazarus immediately upon hearing that he was ill.  Lazarus was his friend.  Jesus cared deeply for him, but Jesus didn't feel compelled to immediately go to him.  And now Jesus is talking about going back to Judea even when those in authority were trying to find a reason to kill him.  So I know that the disciples are wondering, "why now?"  

Jesus always had a reason to do the things he did.  He always knew what God was doing in the world and through him.  He didn't have the human questions like, "what if I'm wrong..."  I pray for that kind of assurance that Jesus had.  The sure knowledge that I am doing God's will in everything that I do.  I pray for the patience to listen for God's whisper in the night or during the day.  And I pray for the patience to wait on the Lord's timing in the things that He calls me to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment