Monday, March 5, 2012

I will trust in you.

From today's reading: Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust and will not be afraid. . . Psalm 56:3-4b

Sometimes this is harder to do than to say. . . My friend, Leah, lies in a hospital bed, on a ventilator to help her breathe. Whenever she begins to come out from under the sedation, she just panics and she trys to do anything to get rid of the tube down her throat. I'm not sure I would be any different.

We spend so much of our life being told that we need to be self-sufficient - and part of the human condition is to feel like we need to be in control of our life, of our destiny, of all that is happening around us. When we are not in control, it's hard not to be afraid.

Rachael is a special needs child, a little over a year old. I have come to the conclusion that her primary purpose in life is to be loved, by God and by those around her. She gives us a perfect example of what it means to trust; to trust in God and to trust in those around her. She lives each moment for the moment without any concern about what comes next. When it comes to trusting, we can take an example from Rachael, living in the moment, trusting God to take care of what comes next.

Heavenly, Father, most loving God, be with Leah this morning as they wean her off the ventilator. Lord, breathe the breath of life into her and fill her, that she may be strengthened and restore to fullness of health. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment